Monday, June 8, 2009

Should I have just stayed home?



I am sure that you know that pressing through regardless of circumstances can really pay off in the long run. Sometimes it is simpler to give up, go home, stop or let something alone than it is to work through it and press on to (as the old folks say) "see what the end is gonna be".


This past weekend I had my 4 year old godgrandaughter over to spend the weekend with me while her mom was out of town. I had the weekend all planned, starting with a trip to Lansing to a women's workshop. We were up, dressed and packing the car when all of a sudden I was out of time..and it was already 15 minutes later than I wanted to leave. I thought as I ran around the house-skip it, I can just put her back to bed and plan something else, but I pushed that aside. So with the portable dvd playing doodlebops and the baby strapped in, coffee in the holder.. 15 minutes later we trudge out. Of course I have to stop at the gas station, because I told myself the night before to do it and I was too tired (equals=lazy) to do it then. So, now I am running late, but since I give myself a good travel cushion I can still make it in time for the workshop-I just may miss getting breakfast. This was the 2nd time I thought-oh forget it..I am just going back home". But I was organized enough to have something for the baby to eat and I had cut up fresh fruit and had a water for me...so-I press on, we're good..and on the freeway.


An hour into the drive I start looking at my directions again because we should be close. I look at the exit sign and note that according to the numbers I am only two exits away. I look at the clock and I am impressed. We got up there in great time and I now am excited that we are almost there.
THUMP THUMP THUMP...the car begins to wobble and shake..I know that feeling. I have had it before. Its a flat tire. So, I am on 96 Freeway in a skirt with a four year old, a flat tire and 10 minutes to spare to get to ther workshop on time. My first frustrated instinct was to well....cry. I am sure most of you would have said pray and I ain't mad at cha..but I didn't start there. I didn't cry but I pulled the car over safely and just sat for a minute to collect myself. I thought (almost audibly) WHY didn't I stay home?

So then, I did pray, asking God what to do next. My husband is almost 80 miles away and at that very moment probably singing on the platform at church . My brothers, brother in law, sons and dad are even further. So I hear almost instinctly-Change the tire-now. Duh, talk about supernatural revelation. First, I text my husband so he would know what going on (he won't read it until way later), 2nd I change the movie for the baby and get her something to snack on and drink. Then, I go to the trunk to find the tire (ok that took a minute, I had to get the book and everything). So, in my light khaki colored skirt, I crawl under the car to get the tire and then lift it to the front of the car and start working with the jack when out of nowhere another car pulls up. This awesome couple jumps out and helps me put the donut tire on and then follows me to the gas station so I can get air. They said they thought I was ok until they saw the extra tire in the front of the van. The flat was on the side away from view of the freeway (so, if I hadn't got that tire out when I did-they may have kept driving-when God says move-move)
Although, I was excited and grateful to have the tire on I was so frustrated. My skirt was dirty, my makeup smeared and I was just exhausted by the adrenalin of it all. So, for the third time I thought-I am just going to put the air in this and go home. I can only drive so fast on this tire and its gonna take me forever. The workshop started an hour ago. By now I had talked to my husband who told me to call him back when I was on the road and then every so often to let him know where I was. I told him I was going to find a nearby restuarant, feed the baby, let her walk around a bit, and use the bathroom before I head back, since it would be a long slow trip.

But instead....I thought I came here to go to the workshop and I am going. If its over I will buy the CD, get the notes and THEN go home. But I came for a purpose and skip it I wasn't leaving until I got what I came for. Then I called the church..and that's another long awesome story...but anyway.
I get to the church. I am sure I looked a mess. I walked in the door and I cannot tell you how tangible the peace of God was there. The lady in reception was so pleasant and asked my name and as soon as I started into my story I heard the conference host take the podium. She had JUST started speaking. The assistants were like you didn't miss it..come on we'll get the baby in child care just in time for the puppet show and they will feed her breakfast in the room. Within 6 minutes of walking in the door, the baby was situated, I was in a seat bible open and pen out. AMAZING.
The workshop was incredible. I will my 7 pages of notes in a separate post. But its main theme was about attitude. My attitude this weekend was TESTED. I could have flown off the handle, mad at me, mad at my husband, mad at the world, but staying focused on the goal and keeping my emotions, attitude and demeanor in check paid off.

I got home in good time. The ride home was peaceful. The baby slept, I had the windows down enjoying the quiet....and thinking of all the things I learned at the conference and BEFORE the conference.

1 comment:

Verna said...

The Lord always give us what we need when we need it. I needed to read this blog. Thank you so much for your blog. I dont know you but I got your blog link from Darlyn Johnson blog Swissfamjohnson. This blog gave me that push to keep going and not give up.

Verna
Cleveland,OH