Monday, February 14, 2011

99 1/2 won't do!


For the last year or so I have been praying that each of my children would get a decent paying job-at the same time. Don’t get me wrong, they weren’t slothful and still did what they had to do to manage. One son sold a lot of his possessions to keep money in his pocket, another son worked as a volunteer at a ranch part time cleaning, another begin to hone in on his writing skills creating drafts of screenplays, and my daughter did hair on the side to make ends meet.


I could have gotten complacent and stopped praying and believing. I could have blamed the economy or just knuckled under to the pressure that jobs were hard to come by. But I refused. I have learned that anything worth having is worth fighting for. My kids well being is worth fighting for. So I had 3 working, and one left. It just made me dig my heels in harder, fast more, pray more and exercise more faith in this area. I kept him encouraged and prayed in agreement with him.

But today as I dropped this son off to his new job at a very prestigious country club, I smiled in gratefulness as I realized that God honored our diligence in seeking Him. It wasn’t about the job. It was about strengthening our faith and our developing our perseverance. It was also about my son’s attitude. He was sincerely happy for his brothers and sisters as they seem to leap ahead of him. He celebrated the wedding of one, the birth of his niece with another brother and rejoiced over a promotion his sister earned. He had the right spirit.

So I encourage you today to ask God to create in you a clean heart and renew a right spirit within you. One of my mentors says, “What you want is on the other side of what you won’t do”. Be relentless in your pursuit of what God has for you. I did, and now have, 4 out of 4. Go after your 100% . No settling. 99 ½ won’t do.

No comments: