Tuesday, November 24, 2009

How many meatballs or what color casket?

Today most of my co-workers and supervisors will be attending the funeral of the son of one of our Senior VP’s. I stayed behind thinking.. I really needed to write this instead. Randy was in college in Virginia and a freak accident claimed his life. He was 22 years old. He leaves behind a little brother, a mom and a dad who are racked with grief as we speak. They are getting dressed right now, preparing to get in the family car to go to church to view him one last time.

Sharon, Randy’s mother is concerned with the well being of her surviving son and how he’s handling the grief…she is also worried about the roller coaster of emotions that her husband is dealing with. On top of that, she is picturing in her mind how in the world is she going to handle seeing someone closing her son up inside of a casket to be lowered into the ground.

This morning my biggest concern was how many bags of meatballs to take over my sister’s house for Thanksgiving and if I had enough money for gas and food to make it until payday. My God, it seems so incredibly trivial right now. If Sharon could switch problems with me right now, she’d do it in a heartbeat just so her loved one could be back in her presence. All of my problems, issues and responsibilities she would gladly take on if it would bring Randy back.

So this Thanksgiving, I’m thankful about a lot of things but mostly it’s all about my family. I am so blessed. All my kids are well and safe. Unlike Sharon, my 22 year old son, although not perfect is still with me and alive for me to fuss at. My husband and his children are safe. Both my parents and all my siblings are all alive and well. My nieces and nephews are running around driving me nuts when I visit. I have a loving goddaughter and cooky grand goddaughter that show me love everytime I am in their presence.



Everything else is gravy. My job, co-workers, church and church family, neighbors, degrees, car, house, clothes, jewelry, awards, Wii Fit (ok, I don’t have that yet, but if I did-lol) is secondary to people. This Thanksgiving I give thanks to God, for He is good and his mercy endures forever. Thankful, not for things, but for family-I will remember to not take them for granted again.

1 comment:

Pet said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.